Onkyo has added another top contender in the mid-range AV receiver segment with the Onkyo TX-NR1008. It is a 9.2 channel network ready receiver that puts out a useful 135 watts to each channel. It is designed to be flexible such that you can watch a movie in the main room while the rest of your family can enjoy music in two other rooms.
It also comes with many new features and some of the latest technologies like HDMI ver1.4a inputs for 3D video playback. The TX-NR1008 has been awarded the THX® Select2 Plus Certification for meeting stringent performance requirements.
The TX-NR1008 is solidly built. The thick brushed aluminum faceplate and the firm tactile feel of the select buttons give you the feeling that you are dealing with a quality product.
The control buttons on the front panel are neatly laid out. On/Standby button is conveniently located on the left while the large Master volume control is on the right. Onkyo retains the familiar green fluorescent readout which is subtle yet clear and does not interfere even in a darkened room. Below the display is a row of mode selection and source select buttons.
Neatly tucked away under a flip down panel are a myriad of tuning/preset/setup/listening mode select buttons. Another convenience feature is the many connection options on the front panel. There is a HDMI input for your HD camcorder and a USB port for your iPod or flash drive. A headphone jack, an optical audio input and a set of composite video and audio inputs are also included for analog video sources. You can’t ask for more.
The buttons on the remote control are well organized and it can be programmed to control other AV components in your system. You will be able to store your favorite set up options and use them quickly at the touch of a button. The buttons are differentiated by color, shape, and layout which make it easy to use.
“After playing in an orchestra, full-time band, I need to ‘feel’ some air move when I listen to music OR movies. So many receivers leave my so-called neutral speakers, Axiom’s, sounding like grits. This Onkyo Tx-NR1008 has plenty of bite for surround sound in movies. Grabs you and hits hard. On pure audio it turns into a pussycat and reproduces as clean and sweet a sound as I could ever ask for. Great for jazz, rock, classical, etc. The speakers I have are three at 4 ohms and 5 at 6 ohms. This receiver doesn’t get hot, just warm and lots of power to spare. Remote was easily trainable for all the other components. I’m no audiophile but I know ear-candy and am extremely happy with what I’m hearing.” – Retired Symphony Musician (USA)
There are more than adequate connectivity options to meet your needs. For your high def needs, there are 7 HDMI inputs (including the one in front) and 2 HDMI outputs. The second output is useful if you want hook up a projector and a HDTV. You then have the option to watch HD movies on the projector and news on the HDTV.
There are 3 sets of component video inputs and 5 composite video inputs. There is also a Universal port, an input port for Sirius satellite Radio as well as analog RGB input for video content from a connected PC. Onkyo currently offers an optional iPod dock and an HD Radio receiver for the Universal port. There’s even a phono input for the discerning few who still enjoy the smooth sounds of the phonograph record which is seeing a resurgence of late.
Network capabilities are accessed through an Ethernet port on the rear and are Windows 7 compatible and DLNA 1.5 certified. You can stream networked audio, Internet radio, or download firmware upgrades directly from the Internet.
There are 3 coaxial and 2 optical digital audio inputs which are all assignable.
With the 9.2-channel audio output, you have a several speaker configurations to choose from. And this flexibility extends to multi-room set-ups. Two of the speaker outputs can be assigned for use as front height speakers for improved ambience in a Dolby Pro Logic IIz setup or as front width speakers in Audyssey DSX surround mode.
Finally, the TX-NR1008 can deliver 5.1-channel surround sound in the main room, plus fully powered stereo audio of two different sources in Zone 2 and Zone 3. Also included are multi channel analogue audio inputs and a full complement of pre-outs if you plan to use external amplification. You also get dual subwoofer outputs.
Onkyo continues its tradition of producing good sounding receivers that incorporate the latest technology. The TX-NR1008 is another fine example. It is fully compatible with Windows 7 and the latest 3D video formats. And for the first time Onkyo is adding FLAC playback, as well as other common file formats like MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, and LPCM files. It can also access a range of streaming Internet radio services from Pandora®, Rhapsody, vTuner, and Sirius Internet Radio®, and newly expanded services from Napster, Mediafly™, and Slacker™ internet radio.
To ensure that the NR1008 is capable of delivering movie soundtracks with sufficient dynamics and clarity, Onkyo has employed the use of Wide Range Amplifier Technology. WRAT delivers high instantaneous current enough to drive full range speakers effortlessly. It also has bi-amping capability for power hungry speakers.
To ensure that it can handle the heavy demands of multi-channel audio processing, Onkyo has added an additional 192 kHz/24-bit Burr Brown DAC. Three-stage inverted Darlington circuitry and jitter-cleaning technology are employed to deliver precise and faithful audio reproduction. It has 9 amplified channels and dual subwoofer outputs making it a true 9.2 design.
The TX-NR1008 is equipped with advanced ISF video calibration controls for independent optimization and fine-grained adjustments of every video source. All video sources, regardless of resolution, are upscaled to 1080p by the Faroudja DCDi Cinema processor.
Here’s are some of the key features of the Onkyo TX-NR1008:
- Power Output: 135 watts into 8 ohms (20-20kHz) for each of the 9 channels.
- HDMI 1.4a Support for 3D Video and ARC – 7 HDMI 1.4a inputs let you simultaneously connect up to 7 Hi-definition / 3D sources plus an additional HDMI output for 2nd TV.
- 192 kHz/24-Bit Burr-Brown DAC – High-quality Burr-Brown DACs work to optimize analog audio performance on the TX-NR808. These DACs perform advanced 24-bit signal processing and support sampling rates of up to 192 kHz. They also work to reduce jitter so you get better sound for movies as well as for music playback.
- Audyssey DSX and Dolby Pro Logic IIz – Two new surround-sound technologies from Audyssey and Dolby offers new ways to set up the speakers in your home theater system. Audyssey DSX lets you incorporate “front wide” speakers in place of the usual surround back speakers, allowing you to expand the width of the soundstage. These channels help to produce a more realistic soundstage and a more immersive listening experience. Alternatively, Audyssey DSX can reconfigure the TX-NR808’s surround back channels to deliver “front height” channels. These channels carry ambient, non-directional audio that adds a new vertical dimension to your movies and games. Dolby Pro Logic IIz provides a similar front-height speaker option that likewise works to create a more enveloping home theater experience.
- Audyssey MultEQ® Room Correction – Audyssey MultEQ automatically determines the number of speakers connected, their size for purposes of bass management, optimum crossover frequencies to the subwoofer, and distances from the primary listening position. Audyssey MultEQ then removes the distortion caused by room acoustics by capturing room acoustic problems over the listening area in both the frequency and time domain. The result is clear, well-balanced sound for everyone.
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ® – Dynamic EQ selects the correct frequency response and surround sound volume levels at any volume level.
- THX Loudness Plus – It is a new volume control technology featured in THX Select2 Plus Certified receivers. With THX Loudness Plus, you can now experience the rich details in a surround mix at any volume level. THX Loudness Plus compensates for the tonal and spatial shifts that occur when the volume is reduced by intelligently adjusting ambient surround channel levels and frequency response. This enables you to experience the true impact of soundtracks regardless of the volume setting.
- New Overlaid On-Screen Display – On-screen set-up menus appear overlaid on the video image you’re watching. This means you can adjust the settings immediately, without having to switch back and forth from a blank screen background.
- Universal Port for Single-Cable Connection of Onkyo Dock for iPod or HD Radio Tuner (sold separately)
- PC-compatible analogue RGB video input – Multimedia fans and gamers will now be able to route the video output from Desktop/Media Centre PCs or laptops directly to the TX-NR808 and then through to the TV via HDMI.
- Front-panel USB input for direct connection – If you have an iPod or other MP3 player, you can connect it to the TX-NR808’s front panel for quick and convenient audio playback. Your player’s compressed digital music files can then receive a quality boost from the receiver’s Music Optimizer technology.
- Play Movie and Audio in 3 Different Zones
- Internet Radio Connectivity – Receive streaming audio from Pandora, Rhapsody, Napster, Slacker, Mediafly, Sirius Internet Radio, and vTuner.
- Network Capability for streaming audio file formats that include FLAC, MP3, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, WMA Lossless, AAC, and LPCM.
If you have a large library of blu-ray discs and music stored as data files on your computer or iPod, the Onkyo TX-NR1008 is your dream machine. Not only does it play content that you have, it also streams radio programs from the internet any time of day with music to suit your every mood. It is an intelligent receiver that is going to change the way you view your entertainment system.
More user reviews:
• “The onkyo sounds great, the setup was a breeze. The on screen display made it even easier. My setup is with 5 speakers and I had to buy a powered sub Klipch. I also used the one of the zones for the backyard rock speaker which sounds incredible. Love that I had all this HDMI inputs. The remote controls everything I have connected except for the game console. I really don’t have any negative things to say. It was well worth the price. Let’s just say everything I wanted to do it does for me. Hope this helps you make up your mind about buying it.” – Cram (USA)
Click Here for Latest Offer on Onkyo TX-NR1008
Enjoy Free Shipping & Secure Shopping